- Do Deer Eat Weed? Cannabis Talk
Do Deer Eat Weed? Cannabis Talk
Deer are creatures of habit; and when they want to eat, they will continue to return to the same home-grown spots where they know they can indulge on plants. In the spring and summer months when food is abundant, deer will tend to visit home gardens for flowers, fruits and vegetables but not so much cannabis plants. However, to be safe, Leafly recommends the following tips to protect weed from hungry deer. Here's what outdoor cannabis growers should know:
- The only sure-fire way to keep deer out is a deer-proof fence. Depending on your aesthetic and budget, you have options:
- The classic setup is wire mesh attached to posts.
- These days a lot more folks opt for polypropylene-mesh. It’s much more affordable than wire, but it’s also a lot less durable.
- Wood privacy fences or chain link fences also do the trick, but they have to be at least 8 feet tall.
- Having a dog that spends most of its time outdoors can be a huge deterrent.
- Repellent sprays can be effective, but again, nothing stops a starving animal. Note: Homemade sprays—using garlic powder and cayenne—are as effective as many store-bought ones, but they have to be reapplied more often.
The cooler months of the year are when deer may wish to sniff out weed plants. It's best to implement deer management strategies, including the use of a deer fence or trellis netting, early on in the year when growing marijuana.