- National Pest Management Month
National Pest Management Month
Insects invading your home?
For nearly 40 years, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has designated April to be National Pest Management Month. The designated month applauds pest professionals for their role in protecting public health and keeping our properties harm-free from pests.
This month, we want to remind homeowners of the threat of pests including ticks, termites, mosquitoes, ants and bees.
Because tick season has begun, it's important to note that some ticks carry Lyme Disease and other tick-borne illnesses including Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever that can harm humans, pets and livestock. And, who is the favored carrier of ticks? The white-tailed deer. For this reason, Deerbusters asks gardeners to install a deer fence around properties and gardens to deter wildlife from entering; spray tick repellents on their landscape; and know how to remove a tick after a tick bite. Mosquitoes are not just annoying flying bugs that bite; but they carry West Nile Virus and Annually, termites alone cause approximately $5 billion in property damage!
NPMA and renowned home improvement expert, Bob Vila, offer the following home pest proofing tips (Courtesy of NPMA's PestWorld):
- Conduct an audit of the home’s perimeter, taking note of any cracks, winter damage or termite mud tubes.
- Seal outside cracks, including entry points for utilities and pipes, with a silicone-based caulk.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house and clean clogged gutters.
- Remove rotted tree stumps, keep mulch at least 15 feet away from the home’s foundation and trim bushes and branches away from the home.
- In case of an infestation, work with a licensed pest professional to properly identify the problem and determine the best treatment method.
Join the coversation on Twitter using hashtag #PestMonth; and follow us on Twitter @Deerbusters.