- Using Electric Fence On Deer
Using Electric Fence On Deer
I tried being gentle, calm, nice; but the deer just weren't getting the hint to leave my garden alone.
I planned my landscape accordingly and applied deer repellents to my landscape. That wasn't enough. I planted thorny rose bushes and other deer-resistant plants as a protective deer barrier; but again, I failed to keep the deer away from my yard.
I was growing frustrated and tired. I studied deer behavior; and I knew that deer were motivated largely by their hunger for organic plants and rely on taste and scent. I was looking for a non-lethal deer management technique; so, I did my research on electric fencing for deer management; and here is what I discovered:
- Deer are curious wild animals that will surely reach out to the electric deer fence to see what it's all about. (They won't like the outcome.)
- Electric fencing comes with a high voltage charger that shocks a response from deer to back off.
- Electric fences are safer than barbed wire fence or woven wire fence; but...
- Electric fences will hurt you if you touch them. Keep children and pets away from electric fence.
- Deer lures, such as a Electric Baited Deer Pops, can be added to the electric fence to repel deer. They won't like the taste or the zap!
- Electric fencing trains the deer to stay away from the property. Once the shock wears off (get it?) they'll alert other deer herds to back away from the territory.
Here's how an electric deer fence works:
An electric fence converts battery or solar power into high voltage pulses. The electric fence energizer than transfers the pulse to a fence insulator that will give the deer the 'shock.' This usually transfers a response in less than 3 seconds. When the wild animal, be it deer or rodent, makes contact with the fence, the animal will quickly pull away from the fence. The animal will not bounce off of the fence or make a dramatic exit.
Gardeners who are looking for a permanent solution to crop protection from deer should consider an electric baited deer fence. Not only is this type of deer fence reliable, but it's affordable and effective. It does not cause long-term damage to the deer and will not harm the environment. It requires less materials and time into building and managing a fence, as well.