Lyme Disease Awareness Month is an observance month in May that raises funds for research of Lyme, educational opportunities and organized events. May is the heart of tick season; and it's important to get the facts about ticks and Lyme Disease.
Here are top 10 facts about Lyme Disease:
1) Lyme Disease is a bacterial disease caused by a tick bite. Ticks appear most in the warmer months, beginning in March-May.
2) Ticks feed on warm-blooded mammals. Deer, humans and pets are the most favored hosts.
3) Not all ticks carry Lyme Disease; but it's still important to get the tick off of the infected skin area asap. Individuals bitten by ticks will have less than 48 hours to remove the tick before possible transmission of Lyme Disease.
4) Installing a deer fence can reduce the risk of Lyme Disease by 97%!
5) Lyme Disease is often misdiagnosed because of flu-like symptoms.
6) There are over 900 tick species in the world.
7) The most common tick is the black-legged tick, found on the East Coast of the United States.
8) The 'Bulls-eye' ring around the infected area is the most common sign of Lyme transmission.
9) Symptoms of Lyme Disease may not appear for several weeks or months after being bitten by a tick.
10) Celebrities diagnosed with Lyme: Avril Lavigne, Alec Baldwin, George W. Bush, Ben Stiller and Ashley Olsen.