Facts About Reindeer
Posted by Jennifer Smith on 20th Dec 2018
Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer may have had a shiny nose; but what you may think you know about reindeer is actually a lie. First off, kids, these deer species do not have red noses; and what's worse, Rudolph can't fly.
Sorry to break the news days before Christmas. Here are the real facts about reindeer:
- In North America, reindeer are also called caribou. There are seven subspecies of caribou, totally 5 million in the Americas.
- Reindeer hooves grow in the summer while the ground is soft; then, shrink in winter when the ground hardens.
- Both male and female reindeer grow antlers.
- Golden eagles are the leading predator of caribou calves in late spring and fall.
- Reindeer are found in Alaska, Canada, Greenland and Northern Europe and Asia.
These plant eaters are making their way for gardens this Christmas season; and love feeding on leafy greens, mushrooms and carrots.