New To Growing Hemp? Read This.
Posted by Jennifer Smith on 9th Oct 2019
Growing hemp on small scale farms is not like growing fruits or vegetables. There are regulations; seed varieties to consider and other steps needed to ensure a healthy and bountiful crop. Here are the top things to consider for beginners trying to grow hemp at home.
- Do your due diligence. Do you research and learn about regulations; how to get certified hemp seeds (doesn't apply to clonal or ferminized seed growers) and how to grow outdoor hemp.
- Learn to test the crop and how to read hemp lab reports.
- Understand the end user/processor. Why grow? Who will buy the hemp? What is its use?
- Understand risk and spend time with growers and processors.
- Learn how to protect outdoor hemp crops from wildlife. There are different deer management techniques: deer fencing and trellis netting are common for farm management and in the drying process.
Hemp is a versatile cash crop that can grow year-round in almost every soil type. Learn the seed varieties and risks associated with growing hemp. Most importantly, have fun growing it!